The meaning of Easter


Lent (''carême'') or not eating candy for a whole month. Then, the reward in the form of seductive hollow chocolate bunnies with a single, creepy, round blue eye. Then, a less seductive bunny including its wrapping, because it was solid. But it also meant it lasted longer (or could be melted to do a ''fondue au chocolat'' by dipping pieces of fruit in it). New spring outfits (most likely a floral dress for me) I was so looking forward to put on, and too stubborn to not wear in a cold weather (it seems like it was always cold during Easter. Was it because it is so close to a full moon ?). Brunch at our grandparents. One year, we had three ducklings. Another year, an adorable chick. For many consecutive years, constraining myself to watch Jésus de Nazareth, despite the slaughtering of babies, the decapitation of Jean-Baptiste, other tragedies and ultimately Jésus' horrific torture by crucifixion. Why was I doing this to myself ? Out of solidarity ? 

Easter meant various things for me since childhood and now through adulthood. When I had my children, I would decorate the table for the brunch. We also started doing egg hunts, something we never really did when I was little. We did crafts, including Miffy, skillfully handsewn by Kristof when he was little (see picture above). Because I was raised Catholic and it was part of my heritage (and thinking it might be more endearing for my kids than having them watch the traumatic movie about Jésus), I even enacted the resurrection of Jesus and the discovery of the empty tomb for my kids using dolls (my oldest complained there was too much wailing in the act, but my youngest joined me and seemed captivated). 

A few years ago, I heard about the true meaning of Easter, the fact that it is Mary of Magdala's holiday, Mary who was Jésus' main apostle, and some say his wife. I became intrigued and read her Gospel, a sacred text that was banished and burnt by a roman emperor (because the Catholic church was already a patriarchal institution) but some parts were saved and hidden by monks, only to be found in 1896 in Egypt and made public only in 1955, but my whole life it was understood that Mary of Magdala had been reduced to whoredom, accusation that didn't really bother me (in fact I had always felt sorry for her. I honestly felt unfair that she was stoned based on her entrepreneurship tendencies. Shouldn't the men be as guilty, at least ?). Anyway, this life-changing discovery happened during the pandemic for me and shortly before my separation and expression of my divine feminine. Two years ago, I did a mini ceremony during Easter to reclaim a name I had never used, Marie. And like my mentor once said, it is the most beautiful name because it is an anagram of the verb ''to love'', in French (aimer). When you think of it, to love is a core aspect of the meaning of Easter, because love is the force of life, and Easter is life. As I mentioned in an earlier blogpost, I adapted it to include my sons' first initial.


Love in action: Maman Caroline Mariekya preparing Easter chocolates
with her two youngest sons, Kristof and Andreas, in 2018


Easter coincides with the arrival of spring, inviting us to do a rebirth, resurrect or reinvent ourselves, with love. This is what I did today, as I prepared treats for those I love, and it is what I plan on doing every day. I want to live each minute through my highest self, as carefully as if I were pouring melted chocolates in tiny bunny and chick molds with my sons, and if my word or attitude are not always impeccable, I want at least to be aware of the need to improve so I can have a path of learning and growth my children would be inspired by and proud of. 


Comments

Popular Posts