On the Fly

Interesting illusion: the position of the vase 
in my dusty car makes it looks suspended, or ''flying''.


The synergy between my intense wastophobia (some call it ''hoarding'', but I find it more nuanced than just accumulating stuff), my creativity and my lack of time has led to developing a skill called ''on the fly''. Whether I need to find a last-minute present for a kiddo, a whimsical wrapping idea, or an impromptu vase containing offerings from my backyard, I am your girl. I get a thrill from the challenge of ''making do'' (''faire avec'', as was the topic of a recent blogpost in French). I admit I also surprise myself every time, maybe because I feel liberated from seeking a specific outcome, as I just look for something to make the presentation better step by step as the process unfold.

On Saturday, I was already late to meet a friend to work on a paper. I wanted to bring something. It was my first time going to her place. A few hours before, as I was watering my lemon tree, I gasped in awe at the discovery of a bush of red roses, at different blooming stages. I knew I had to take one of the red flowers to offer to this very kind and delicate soul, maybe in a mini arrangement of other plants from my ''garden'': rosemary, and another branch from a plant which name I am remarkably ignorant of. And I thought it would pair perfectly with a chocolate bar made in Canada (from my special stack brought by my dad, and at my request because Aero is associated with a childhood treat). Decades ago, where I grew up, roses were very special and would sell 5 dollars a piece. It was a lot of money in that era. And usually, back then, love was somehow measured by the dozen. So, 60 dollars for a bouquet on Valentine's Day ! 

Anyway, I digress. I was very grateful to have that treasure in my backyard. I picked one for Catherine and wanted for the transport a container more appealing than a wet piece of paper towel (plus, I rarely use those... do you know how terribly environmentally unfriendly they are ??? Their production necessitates a ton of water). 

So, in those situations, I turn on observation mode. I look what is available. Usually, through a sequence of two or three options, I end up with a satisfying result. This time, after proceeding to empty a glass jar of its pens and pencils, I decided to use something else: a juice container I was about to throw in the recycling. It was the perfect size. I removed the orange juice labels on two sides to not distract. But the bottle remained sticky. I decided to cover the sides with one piece of paper, and I cut it with my special lace-pattern scissors to create a nicer effect on both edges. I put it around after filling it up with water. Ta-dam ! The paper held well in place, and my friend was delighted with that, including it on a special shrine to honor loved ones at her home.

I know people who are very good at practicing ''on the fly'', one of them being my friend Tonya, whether when she comes up with an astonishing dessert for our book club, or discovers treasures at her favorite used bookstore, or the way she displays flowers on a special vase (the latest probably inspired my own recent creation, unconsciously: she had put red roses in a plastic bottle with rocks and shells at the bottom, coming up with a very pleasant feng-shui effect). Another talented ''on the fly'' artist is my friend Julie, in her way to set a table o wrap a present for instance.

What are your ''on the fly'' creations ? How could you become more proficient in the art of being and doing ''on the fly'' ?






 

Comments

Popular Posts